"In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the need for self-actualization is the final need that manifests when lower level needs have been satisfied. ... " Welcome to my diary of self-actualization.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Good morning.

Sometimes life moves so fast and I am so busy with my own thoughts, but this morning Luke woke me up with a big grin. He was excited to go to school. Sleepy-eyed I wandered into the kitchen with him on my heels talking a mile a minute. The one thing he said that did register in my grogginess was, "Mom, I'm hungry!"

I got out the pancake mix and grill. Still on auto pilot I started mixing batter and boiling water for coffee. Luke was excited to have pancakes and wanted to watch me do the flips. He pulled up his little stool to the counter. The kitchen cd player was to my left, mindlessly I pushed play.

The sun was coming up and as I stood beside Luke eating his pancakes standing on his stool, I paused and it seemed like the whole world stood still. Luke with syrup all over his face and holding his fork in the air, Elton John's piano tinkling in the background and Lukey softly singing with mouth full the words to "My Song".
I peered at him from the side as not to make him self-conscience and in that moment my heart grew full. My son with his mouth full of pancakes singing along and making up his own words along with Elton. The sun now risen and streaming in the windows, the smell of coffee, and my son singing.